The JBI works closely with the office of the Commissioner of Mines in ensuring that land disturbed for bauxite mining is satisfactorily restored and certified. The ultimate responsibility for bauxite land reclamation rests with the Commissioner of Mines, in accordance with the country’s Mining Regulations.
The Bauxite Lands Division of the JBI implements planning and research programmes to facilitate the optimal utilization of mined-out bauxite lands. The JBI’s objectives regarding reclamation and the use of mined out lands include:
- Reducing the backlog of unreclaimed lands
- Effectively increasing the area of mined out lands under commercial agriculture
- Making more lands accessible to more small farmers
- Making mined out lands available to meet the high demand for housing and other non-agricultural uses.
- Minimizing the aesthetically unpleasant appearance of unreclaimed lands.