The JBI Information and Documentation Centre is the major information unit on bauxite and related subjects. It falls under the Information Technology Unit and is located on the ground floor of the JBI building. The library serves both staff and the public by addressing their information needs, particularly those on bauxite and related areas.
The primary functions of the Centre are:
- To provide sources of information and referrals on bauxite and related subjects.
- To develop a collection of information sources that meet the needs and priorities of the organization it serves.
- Acts as a repository for all JBI research reports and other relevant documents produced by the Institute.
The Centre offers several facilities/services to its clients:
- An automated catalogue which will make retrieval of documents and information faster and easier.
- Responds to references queries that come in via telephone, mail, fax or e-mail
- Free in-library use for the public of all reference documents
- Photocopying of library materials (at a minimal cost)
- Referrals and inter-library loans
- Online Catalogue
There is a variety of documents covering a wide range of subjects. Subject coverage includes:
- Mining Industry
- The bauxite/alumina industry and the environment
- Bayer Process (Processing alumina from bauxite)
The Library Stock is comprised of:
- Reference texts and documents
- encyclopaedias, dictionaries
- handbooks, yearbooks
- research reports
- conference papers
- statistical data
- newspaper clippings
- video tapes and audio cassettes
The collection includes caribbean and international material on the bauxite and related industries.
The Information and Documentation Centre opens to the public:
Tuesdays & Thursdays: 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. & 2:00 p.m.- 4:30 p.m.
Because of limited seating facility in the reading area, persons wishing to use the library are advised to call and make appointments. For further information, you can contact the Librarian at the address listed below.