The Jamaica Bauxite Institute (J.B.I.) was established by the Government of Jamaica in 1975 and is a limited liability company incorporated under the laws of Jamaica in October 1975.
The main activities are to:
- monitor and study the aluminum industry and advise the Government of Jamaica on matters pertaining to the bauxite/alumina industry locally and internationally
- continually assess and ensure rationalization in the use of Jamaica’s bauxite reserves and (bauxite) lands
- monitor and make recommendations to ensure adequate pollution controls and other environmental programmes in the industry
- provide laboratory services to analyze not only bauxite, its products and by-products but also a range of industrial and agricultural materials
- in addition, the Jamaica Bauxite Institute (J.B.I.) implements Bauxite Community Development Programmes (BCDP) in collaboration with the bauxite/alumina companies and community councils.